Wednesday 21 March 2012

Book review: Dissolution by C.J. Sansom

Dissolution (Matthew Shardlake, #1)Dissolution by C.J. Sansom
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My Mum has been a massive fan of CJ Sansom for a while now, but this was my first foray into medieval murder mystery.
Admittedly, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. I don't normally read historic fiction, although Pillars of the Earth is one of my favourite books. However, I do absolutely love murder mysteries, so it should go well. Luckily, it did!
I generally like the character of Matthew Shardlake, although he's a very negative person, this isn't always against him and quite appropriate for the time considering his condition.
What I love most about Dissolution is the fact that it's set in the medieval era. You don't get bogged down in forensics or modern technology. It really is an old (very old) fashioned murder mystery.
All the characters are interesting and you can't help but emotionally involved in their lives and the story, getting a history lesson along the way.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment