Friday 19 December 2014

Book Review: The Long Weekend by Veronica Henry

The Long WeekendThe Long Weekend by Veronica Henry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

After reading The Girl Who Fell From The Sky I wanted something a bit more light and fluffy. My Mum had read this book ages ago and had recommended it to me and once I found it on her dusty window shelf I couldn't put it down.
The story follows several different people and their interweaving dramas as they come to stay at The Townhouse by the Sea in Pennfleet, Cornwall. The main characters are Claire and Luca, the owner and head chef of the hotel. Claire is well thought out and a sympathetic character. There were times when I wanted to shout out for her, and I winced and laughed along with her story. We also meet Nick, on his stag do; Laura and Dan, searching for her father; Angelica, the receptionist with feelings for the boss; Trevor and Monique, the couple who part-own the hotel; and Colin, with his ex-mistress and illegitimate daughter in tow. All of them have secrets and over the course of The Long Weekend everything becomes unravelled.
Veronica Henry has a great knack for describing the hotel, it's beautiful rooms and the surrounding area. I've not been to Cornwall for years but I could easily picture the boats bobbing in the marina and the colourful shop fronts.
The author is also brilliant at people, creating characters (and lots of them), without getting them confused with each other and giving them real flesh and bone. I felt like I'd known these people a long time and their stories were heartbreaking and uplifting. I found myself rooting for them and cheering them on.
My only criticism with this book, is that everyone was of the same level. And by that I mean, young, beautiful, fit. Everyone went to the gym, lived the life of luxury (except Angelica), which gave the characters as a whole only one dimension. Although I suppose at two-hundred quid a night, you would have to earn a certain amount to stay at The Townhouse by the Sea.
Saying that, I read this novel in two days and am looking to read more Veronica Henry soon. It has more depth than a chick-lit, but not so dark and depressing that when finished you need to watch five episodes of Will & Grace to cheer yourself up.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment