Tuesday 10 February 2015

Book Review: A Trip to Jerusalem by Edward Marston (Elizabethan Theatre #3)

The Trip to Jerusalem (Elizabethan Theater, #3)The Trip to Jerusalem by Edward Marston
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I picked this up in the bookshop I couldn't wait to get home and start reading it. The plague, a touring band of players, murder and mystery and all narrated by their stage manager. As a stage manager myself it was interesting to read about what my role would have been like if I had been alive during that time period (and had been a man).
Initially the style of writing took me aback. I had expected it to be of the period, and am accustomed to reading Shakespeare but some phrases took two readings for me to understand what was being said or going on. However, as the book progressed I became more used to the language and the book flowed well.
The characters were an eclectic mix which I enjoyed reading about, especially the magnificent Lawrence Firethorn! Dubious in character, but an excellent actor. The other players were also interesting, all distinctive enough to keep separate in my head. Although it did annoy me when Martson constantly referred to them by their full name but actually this became useful as were introduced to more people within the novel.
The story itself of Westfield's Players, their travels on the road and their running feud with Barnaby's players was enough to keep me enthralled. In fact, I found the two running stories alongside a bit boring, especially the one about the traitors. The woman who had abandoned her husband for God was a bit more interesting but it's conclusion was a bit bland, and it had no tie into the main story.
Overall an excellent book, a quick read and a very original idea. I hope to discover the first two of these novels and enjoy them just as much as I have this one.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment