Wednesday 16 September 2015

Book Review: The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton

The MiniaturistThe Miniaturist by Jessie Burton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Having recently visited Amsterdam with my friend, specifically the Van Loon Museum, reading this was a treat for my imagination.
The story follows 18-year-old Nella, recently betrothed to Johannes Brandt, a wealthy merchant and a pillar of his community. He lives in Amsterdam with his sister Marin and their servants Cornelia and Otto. Despite being the lady of the house, Marin makes it clear that Nella is not in charge.
From the initial awkwardness of fitting into a household, to the unravelling of the Brandt family The Miniaturist held my attention throughout and I couldn't wait to find out where the story would take me.
The reason why this is four stars and not five is because the story of the actual miniaturist seemed to fall flat. Johannes gift to Nella upon marriage is a beautiful doll's house (which can be seen in the Rijksmuseum). He gives her permission to buy whatever she likes to fill the house. Nella orders several items and the miniaturist continues to send more, often with hidden motives and telling of things yet to come. However, this story line just seems to peter out.
For me, the real strength lies in the characters Jessie Burton creates. I really sympathised with Nella, even if she was beyond her years in terms of her opinions, thoughts and knowledge. The supporting characters provide warmth and friction for Nella. Although the fact that Otto was black was touched upon and then not really mentioned.
I have come to realise that families, relationships and affairs of the heart are what keep the pages turning for me and this novel was full of them. The description of 17th Century Amsterdam was rich and detailed and I easily pictured the house and the surroundings. I look forward to reading more of Jessie Burton in the future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment