Monday 28 February 2011

Book review: Daemonic by Stephen Laws

DaemonicDaemonic by Stephen Laws

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I really loved this book, but it is a massive guilty pleasure. The storyline is completely unrealistic, the bad characters are pantomime villans while the good ones are out and out heroes. The idea is great: six people are brought to The Rock and have to fight for their survival from the man who sired them, meanwhile taking on daemons in Dragerman's studio sets. Apart from the Berserker, the daemons themselves are actually insignificant. They obviously play a part in the plot, but I would've like them to be specific to each person. Overall this would make a great film and it was something I really enjoyed reading. If I had nothing to read I would definately come back to it. I gave it a four because I did love reading it, and some points had me afraid to turn the lights off before bed, but the writing isn't perfect. There were also some points that niggled. Near the end of the book, when the tension was building, the writer would keep using 'as...' at the end of each chapter, obviously to string them all together, but it got on my nerves. Also, Laws opened some questions that he didn't answer. One of the characters asked why the lights were different colours in the corridors, and that was never revealed. I would recommend this to thriller readers, because those who are fantasy fans, may be disappointed with the lack of daemonic content.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment