Monday 22 February 2016

Book Review: Room by Emma Donoghue

RoomRoom by Emma Donoghue
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Many others struggled with the fact that Room is narrated by a little boy. I enjoyed Jack's point of view and I didn't find him irritating or repetitive. Although I work with children, so maybe
that helps.
Room is a rather desolate story of a little boy and his mum who live confined in a room. It is the only life Jack has ever known, although his mum makes it clear that she is here under another person's will. That other person is known as Old Nick, who brings them Sunday treats and regularly rapes Jack's mum.
Jack describes the room in innocent detail and his discovery of the real world is both funny and enjoyable.
The story gathers speed and interest after Jack escapes from the room, with his mum's guidance and planning. Discovering how they treat the world and how the world treats them is fascinating and Emma Donoghue thinks of so many things, such as the fact that Jack has never been in direct sunlight before.
All the characters we meet are well written and easily distinguishable and the story kept me intrigued right through to the end. My only criticism is that it ended suddenly and I wanted more. I hope Donoghue writes a second novel exploring where Jack's life has taken him.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment