Tuesday 31 May 2011

Book review: Murder Under the Midnight Sun by Nicholas Rhea

Murder Under the Midnight SunMurder Under the Midnight Sun by Nicholas Rhea

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Murder Under the Midnight Sun by Nicholas Rhea

I feel really bad for giving this book two stars because it's the only rating on the page! But unfortunately, it's deserved. The idea, that a murder is commited on a cruise ship is brilliant. It's on the levels of Agatha Christie in that the detectives are isolated WITH the killer. But it wasn't executed very well. To begin with, I didn't get a good feel of the characters. I had no idea what DS Mark Pemberton or DC Lorraine Cashmore looked like at all, and despite them being partners I felt no romantic connection between them.
A great deal of time was spent describing the detectives get on the cruise ship and what they did, so it took a while to actually get to the murder. When the person was eventually killed, Rhea spent a great deal of time describing the various procedures. I just wanted to skip a lot of unnecessary words. Furthermore, pretty much all the characters sounded the same. I didn't see the point of half of them either, especially Pemberton's partner. And despite it taking me an age to read the book itself was actually quite short. Some parts of it could have been fleshed out better. In a lot of cases, Rhea just stated what happened rather than described it.
The actual plot was well thought out and I didn't see the culprit coming, but it was a bit of a letdown.
Overall, it could have been a lot better. I'm not sure I will look at Nicholas Rhea again.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment