Thursday 9 January 2014

The Fear Factor

You are born with a fear of two things, falling and fire. Fear of other things develop along the way.
Everyone is scared of something. I have this discussion with the kids at school all the time. What are they afraid of? Being seven year old boys, they often say: 'I'm not scared of anything!' I wish I had their brassiness.
When it comes to creepy crawlies I'm utterly rubbish, especially spiders and daddy-long legs. Spiders freak me out, the way they walk with their eight, thin legs. I once had an awful experience where a spider fell off a towel into the bathroom sink. At the time the towel was wrapped around my head. Daddy-long legs are just as bad, in fact they're worse, because they can fly. In the dark they fly into your face and into your hair. In the past I have known to move out of the comfort of my own bed to avoid one.
However, to protect others I have been known to face my fears. At volunteering a few years ago a bee flew into the room. Although I'm not afraid of bees, seeing him scared turned me into the 'protector'. The same goes for spiders and daddy-long legs. When faced with someone who's more afraid than I am I can overcome my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment