Sunday 10 April 2011

Book review: PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern

PS, I Love YouPS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern

There was only one thing going for this book, and that's what I call 'the pull', the thing that makes you keep turning the pages, even when you're really tired. Other than that there was so much wrong with it. I watched the film first and I'm glad I did, because I actually thought it was better than the book. Also, without the film, I would have had no images in my head for any of the characters.
For a start, I had no idea where the book was set. It eventually revealed that it was Ireland, so that was fine. The character of Holly slowly got on my nerves. The things she did and said began to grate on me the further it went on. Her friends were the same person pretty much. I also had no sense of Gerry at all. I had no idea what he looked like, what his interests were or anything. It all seemed a bit inappropriate that Holly was checking out other men within months of her husband passing. The dialogue was really strange as well, people don't talk like that! Ahern also used adjectives like 'bitchily'. I didn't think that was a word.
I thougt the story in the film would've made a much better book. The whole thing was much more romantic. Gerry sent Holly to the place where they met rather than to Lanzarote and the letters arrived at random. The only thing the film lacked were the family present in the book, which I thought was needed, and the ending was rather unrealistic. She started up a shoe shop from nothing!
I hope Ahern gets better because there's something there for her to work with.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment